Tuesday, June 30, 2009

reflection

Since I was let go from my job-a job I utterly loathed and despised- the thought of ever being at such a dreadful place, or situation as this again, makes me reflect on my career, and the relativity of personal perspective. . . sometimes you can work really hard for something and seemingly, never achieve it, others just fall in your path and it comes as such a surprise. It is definitely hard to define what success is. I guess it is different things to different people. As I was reading a blog by Heather Bailey, a craft genius, she had sited a great quote by  Ralph Waldo Emerson, that I think can really keep things in perspective if you tend to toil over what is personal success and failure:


"To laugh often and love much; to win the respect of intelligent persons and the affection of children; to earn the approbation of honest citizens and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give of one's self; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exultation; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived - this is to have succeeded."
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

No comments: