Saturday, June 20, 2009

german expressionism




I cannot imagine what art would be like today without the German Expressionist movement. That would include for me film as well as painting. Its my favorite style and for as long as I can remember it has inspired me. The styling, emotion, distortion of reality/dreamlike qualities, specific color palette are so boggling to me. The use of yellow green and red is especially shocking to me, especially revolutionizing mood and later became horror movie poster's signature colors.I feel like I see something new and more intricate about it the more paintings/woodcuts/films I see from this genre. I am recently finding the woodcuts style to be especially inspiring as my work heavily influenced by the angular qualities of the lines, and dark macabre tone. I'm trying to look as much inspiration as I can. 

No comments: